Dear Valued Customer,
We at XL Oceanair Travel support our President’s radical decision for a Nationwide lock down which we hope will assist to curtail and reduce the spread of COVID 19.
At this difficult time the staff of XL Oceanair Travel will be working from home and are contactable to assist with any travel related problems, ticket reissues or possible refunds. You can contact your XL Oceanair Consultant via their individual office landline numbers or on our after-hours contact numbers:
Johannesburg: 079 894 9755 or 082 856 3258
Cape Town: 082 856 3259
Durban: 079 021 0539
Please be assured of our full support and we are looking to the future when we can be free of the stress and fear of this pandemic.
XL Oceanair Travel
President Cyril Ramaphosa said 23rd March 2020:
“Our analysis of the progress of the epidemic informs us that we need to urgently and dramatically escalate our response. The next few days are crucial. Without decisive action, the number of people infected will rapidly increase from a few 100 to tens of thousands and within a few weeks to hundreds of thousands.
“This is extremely dangerous for a population like ours, which has a large number of people with suppressed immunity because of HIV and TB, and high levels of poverty and malnutrition. We have learned a great deal from the experience of other countries. Those countries that have acted swiftly and dramatically have been far more effective in controlling the spread of the disease.”
1. Reiterate that most effective way to help infection is to change basic behaviours.
2. Staying home, cancelling gatherings and avoiding people help curb the spread of the virus.
3. Immediate swift and extraordinary action is required.
4. Fundamental task is to curb the spread. Health services cannot be strained.
5. Next few days are crucial.
6. Decided to enforce lockdown from Midnight 26 March 2020.
7. Will last 21 Days to 16 April
9. Health workers
10. Emergency personnel
11. Security services
12. Production and distribution
13. Essential banking services
15. Laboratory services
17. People will not be allowed to move unless buying food and medical supplies.
18. JSE not affected. Trading continues.
19. Malls and clothing stores to be closed.
20. Those who can operate remotely must do so.
21. Defense force deployed to help police.
22. Public health management programme to perform screening. Initial focus on high density and high risk areas.
23. Centralised treatment for sever cases.
24. Decentralised treatment for mild cases.
25. Resident arriving from high risk countries will face quarantine of 14 days.
26. International flights from Lanseria suspended.
27. International travellers will be turned away.
XL OCEANAIR’S GLOBAL PARTNER – Radius Travel and parent company, Travel and Transport, has created a microsite at
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Maintain at least three feet distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then dispose of the tissue safely.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wearing a mask is not necessary unless you are taking care of an infected person. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does recommend that only infected people wear masks to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water when hands are visibly dirty.
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
- Keep in mind the travel advisory set out by the Ministry of Health and Welfare.